English - Français

The neighborhood in the triangle formed by the streets Montorgueil, Montmartre and Etienne Marcel dates from the expansion of Paris during the XII century. It is the King Philippe Auguste who acquired from Paris clergy the marshes located there and turned them into the place known then as the Champeaux or Petits Champs (Small Fields).

The rue Montorgueil was then known as the rue Comtesse d'Artois and it first renown activity was the illuminated manuscripts (the paintings on ancient books whose quality one can see at the National Library of rue de Richelieu).

Philippe Auguste also decided the construction of covered markets to protect the fabrics of the merchants. The rue Montorgueil then became a street of food trade attended by all the people of Paris.

The street changes name with the French Revolution. The origin of the name Montorgueil comes from the contraction of the words Mont Orgueil (Mount Pride), because a tree was planted in its highest part to celebrate the Revolution.

In 1848, for the rehabilitation of the district, the commission of Les Halles launches a vast contest of architects won by Victor BALTARD. He builds 12 covered halls with walls of glass and cast iron posts.

photo

The district was immortalized by Emile Zola in his book "le Ventre de Paris" ("the Belly of Paris") and the quality of its gastronomy was praised by Honore de BALZAC. One of the most famous painting of Monet, simply "La rue Montorgueil", is exposed at the Orsay museum.

photo

In an old chest the current owners found all the documents since the construction of the building. These documents report all the history of the building, the various owners and commercial occupants and their sphere of activity as well as private individuals having lived 15 Montorgueil. The owner perpetuates this memory by preserving the trace of the tenants of the building so far.

The building used to be known as the Crillon Hotel as it was inherited by the Countess of Crillon, Duchesse of Polignac, along with another famous building at the Concorde square. The two places were auctioned in 1910 and the private mansion at the Concorde square became the most luxurious hotel in Paris. The other mansion rue Montorgueil was bought by a family of rich tradesmen from Les Halles who used it's splendid arched cellars to refine Gruyeres cheese. This family still owns the building to date.

But since the Halles markets has been moved in 1969 to the suburb of Rungis in order to ease it's expansion. The last wholesale merchants moved to Rungis in 1972.

The commercial part of the building then became a retail outlet of the wholesale company Butcheries of France until 1988, when its owner decided the complete restoration of the building was necessary. The construction work lasted 3 years during which the owner also decided to get involved in the community life of the district of Les Halles and, as a child raised in this district, to preserve its architectural heritage as well as the quality of its food trade, for the greatest enjoyment of its inhabitants and the visitors.

Copyright © 2018 SCI 15 Montorgueil. All rights reserved.
Friday December 50